We believe in big taste—and not just when it comes to beer. We’ve carefully crafted a menu packed with fresh takes on favorites and Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant specialties. We’re particularly proud of our Healthy Selections, three tasty entrees clocking in under 600 calories.
We did say tasty, right? And under 600 calories? Just checking. Drool over:
- Pan Seared Beef Tenderloin Medallions with smashed Yukon gold potatoes, asparagus spears and Madeira wine sauce
- Moroccan Salmon with smashed Yukon gold potatoes, red onion jam, asparagus spears, scallion sauce and lemon
- Teriyaki Grilled Chicken Breast with wasabi vinaigrette dressed greens, sesame glazed asparagus spears, roasted red peppers and white rice
What to do, then, when you have a hankering for our other entrees, brewhouse favorites, hearth baked pizzas, sandwiches, burgers and more? We reached out to local expert Kimberly Knipe, MBA, RD, LDN, Penn Medicine Chester County Hospital’s coordinator of Community Nutrition and Outreach. She had high praise for our under-600 selections and offered easy ways to sample other must-haves on our menu even when you want to (or need to!) cut the calories.
“And remember, if you dine out frequently, know that every dinner out is not a ‘special occasion,’” Kim explained. “Adopting that mindset is always rule number one.”
Top 5 Tips for Healthy Eating at Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant
- Use the Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant’s easy and fun nutrition calculator. Kim finds it unique because it allows you to add and subtract sauces, dressings and side dishes to build a meal that suits your needs. “Most places don’t let you do that,” she added. “At Iron Hill, you can build your entire meal in advance so you’re not tempted to stray from your goals.”
- Now that you’ve planned your meal, order first. Kim says this will help you stick to your plan (plus you might influence someone else at the table, too).
- Ask for a to-go box to come when your meal is served. Kim explains that, depending on the size of the meal, sometimes boxing half up right away is the way to go. You’ll stay on track and you’ll have tasty Iron Hill leftovers for a second meal.
- Choose water or unsweetened drinks, and don’t waste calories on soda. Kim notes sweet soda can impact the taste of your food. Our beer and food options pair well together, so she suggests saving your liquid calories for a beer instead of sugary soda. You can always ask your server or bartender for something less than a pint, too. We have options!
- Eating healthy isn’t about feeling deprived; it’s about good choices. Kim says if you’re eying an appetizer or dessert, order it for the table and just have a bite or two.
Our nutrition calculator really caught Kim’s attention, and we’re proud to offer this handy tool to help our customers make smart and delicious choices. Here are a few menu items Kim tweaked to lower calories while keeping the big flavors we know you love:
Bacon-Wrapped Scallops Appetizer
Leave off the horseradish chive sauce and save 182 calories. Just squeeze the lemon wedge over those savory scallops atop bibb lettuce. Want that horseradish bite? Order it on the side, and just dip (don’t scoop!) your fork into it before each bite.
Always get the dressings on the side, even a healthier vinaigrette. Stir with your fork and dip into the side dressing to grab flavor with less calories. Going completely without on our California Shrimp Salad saves you 141 calories. Bagging the breadstick saves another 132 calories. And you’ll still get plenty of bold tastes from avocado slices, grilled shrimp, mandarin oranges, pickled red onions, sweet corn relish and crispy wonton strips on seasoned mesclun greens.
Try our Baked Eastern Shore Crab Cakes with Kim-recommended creamy mustard sauce with chives on the side. You save 277 calories by going without, or use the fork-dipping technique to nip a bit of the sauce. Either way, you won’t be disappointed in our hearty crab cakes with sweet corn relish, plus wedge fries. (Pro move: box up half the fries and save another 105 calories.)
“Using the calculator couldn’t be easier,” Kim said. “Don’t assume! Iron Hill gives us this great tool, so use the nutrition calculator before you go, if possible, or on your smartphone at the restaurant. It’s also impressive they use 100 percent trans fat-free oils. I’ve noticed Iron Hill is very accommodating when ordering things on the side and other modifications. Go ahead and ask.”
Kim is correct: we aim to please. Let your server or bartender know your preferences, and absolutely alert them of any food allergies, too. Most dietary preferences can be accommodated—check out our Gluten Allergen Friendly and Kids Gluten Allergen Friendly menus.
With 11 locations in Pennsylvania, Delaware and New Jersey, there’s an Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant near you. We specialize in handcrafted beers and fresh, from-scratch New American cuisine. Monthly releases vary by location, so scout out our beers on tap and visit us soon.